The AMSA Advantage
- AMSA is where you have a unique opportunities. Not only has AMSA at UCF won the prestigious “Organization of the Year” award more than once out of 400+ student organizations, but it is the only organization at UCF exclusively devoted to students pursuing a career in medicine. Every minute invested with AMSA is a minute well invested in your future career.
- AMSA is where you build your professional network. It is your home, community, and support through your pre-professional career. AMSA members are the most talented, intelligent, and compassionate Physicians, the highest achieving residents, and most respected doctors.
- AMSA is where you can lead now. With AMSA you don’t have to wait for your degree, you can lead now. From Director or Chair positions to Officer roles, AMSA Membership is viewed favorably by admissions committees.
- AMSA is where you learn. Through AMSA, you can attend thought-provoking speaker series, workshops, and seminars. AMSA members have broad and diverse interests. Just like you.
- AMSA is where you build your resume. You will have the opportunity to outreach to the community through volunteering, pursue research opportunities, network and shadow local physicians, in addition to other aspects that will set you apart from other medical school applicants.
Ways to get involved in AMSA
- Join AMSA. The first step to reaping the AMSA advantage is becoming a member! The goal of AMSA is to provide an opportunity for our members to become well-rounded applicants to medical school. We accomplish this through numerous events that are based around the “Trifecta of Medical Admissions”: academics, the MCAT, and your extra-curricular involvement.
- Run for an officer position on our Executive Board. Officers are elected by a majority vote of the membership at our last meeting of the academic year who will serve for the following academic year. They are the backbone to our organization; they function as the backstage and onstage leaders for our organization’s successes and efforts for our members.
- Apply and interview for a Director or Chair position. An integral part of our organization relies greatly on the leadership of our team of Directors and Chairs. These positions are the single best way to begin your leadership in AMSA and are the stepping-stone to running for an officer position. Interviews are held at the beginning of the fall semester. We offer a variety of areas such as volunteering, fundraising, global health, among countless other positions!
Aside from gaining so much for yourself that you can later apply to becoming a better physician, we like to reward our active and outstanding members with prizes and giveaways throughout the year. The more points, the better the reward!
Attendance to Meetings with AMSA shirt – 5 points
Attendance to Meetings without AMSA shirt – 4 points
Attendance to Events - 2 to 10 points (varies on nature of event)
Bringing or taking a photo for AMSA – 1 point per photo (max of 10 photos)
Writing an Article for “The Pulse” – 1-5 points (depending on the quality of the article)